History of the Recreation Ground and Sports Centre

     *Prior to the Recreation Ground, Chilham Football Club and Old Wives Lees Cricket Club played on grounds provided by local farmers.

     *Although a public recreation ground was mooted as far back as 1947, things only started moving ahead in 1966 following local complaints to the Playing Fields Association about a lack of facilities for children.  

     *The Parish Council became involved but finding land was difficult, and progress was not helped by the apparent reluctance of Kent County Estates Department. Following a petition KCC became involved.

     *The turning point was In 1970 when a public meeting was held in the Village Hall and as a result the Chilham Parish Recreation Ground Trust was formed in 1971.

     *May Fayres began in 1972 as the main source of income.

     *The Recreation Ground was subsequently purchased. 

     *A small wooden pavilion, Children's Play Area and Tennis Courts followed. 

     *Football and cricket was first played on the ground in 1974.

     *The 100 plus club was introduced in 1989 as an additional source of income.

     *During the 1980's and 1990's funds were built up to fund a new permanent replacement Pavilion.

     *In 1996 the Trust were fortunate to obtain a lottery grant of £172,000 towards a new pavilion/sports hall with showers, changing rooms, meeting room and kitchen.

     *The new facility was opened in 1998 at a cost of £265,000.